Atlas

Share your idea. In order to help prioritize, please include the following information

1. A brief description of what you are looking to do
  2. How you think this will help
  3. Why this matters to you

1. I'd like to have a scheduled mongodump backup option

I'm coming from mLab and I'm used to having an option in my backup strategy that includes a mongodump backup as well as what Atlas calls a CPS (cloud provider snapshot). The latter is actually a snapshot of the database directory at the filesystem level, which is great for instant restores within Atlas (same or different cluster). However, the mongodump backup (from mLab as an example) allows me to backup on a regular schedule and download those backups for restores locally and elsewhere outside of Atlas.

Yes, I can run mongodump operations myself from a system outside of Atlas, but…

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with your MongoDB Account
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I'd like to be able to connect to my cluster directly from the UI and have a shell-like experience i.e. run queries and operational commands

It would be great if I could connect to and run commands against my cluster via the Atlas UI so I don't have to rely on downloading and running the shell locally.

I'd also be more confident I was running commands against the right cluster as I would have less reliance on managing connection strings and differentiating between them. This would be helpful if I'm not on my regular machine and need to do some ad-hoc querying or debugging.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Terraform resource for custom database roles

Could we have a Terraform resource for creating custom database roles?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow adding a Team to a Project via Terraform

I can create a Project in Terraform, but I cannot add a Team to it afterwards.

I am an Organization Member, so I cannot see Projects that I do not have explicit access to. This means that for any Project I create via Terraform, I need to ask someone with more permissions to add my Team to the Project.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. example database sample_mflix.movies.title is not always string

I tried to use the sample_mflix sample database to check MongoDB drivers of C#, how can I use them. The first idea was to download the movies into a statically typed classes, but the provider threw cannot cast int to string exception.

Long story short. The problem was that whenever the title of a movie was a number (like spartan 300), the sample database loaded a number instead of a string.

Can we change it so the initial load of the database contains only string titles?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. MongoError: user is not allowed to do action [listCollections] on [db.]

NodeJS mongodb driver (with or without mongoose) needs to "listCollections" before "createCollection"

But "listCollections" and "createCollection" are in different "rights list" for custom role (look screenshots)

In this case "createCollection" in "Collection Actions" has no sense without "listCollections" from another rights scope "Database Actions and Roles" and user with "createCollection" ability in fact cannot create collection

It can be fixed with moving "createCollection" and "listCollections" rights into one scope

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow Alerts to be disabled during Atlas performed Maintenances

When Atlas is performing maintenances such as setting changes and OS reboots Alerts will be triggered. It would be helpful to have these Alerts be disabled so that it doesn't cause false alarms or so much noise that they are ignored.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Jason,

Great catch and thanks for going to the effort of alerting us. We’re on it and should have this resolved shortly.

Best,

Jesse

9. Autoscaling improvements

Hi, we have tried BETA of Autoscaling feature and we have some thoughts how to make it better. In its current setup its not really suitable for our production workloads. Here are some thoughts how to make it better:

1. Define separate scaling steps
    At them moment the scaling step is always 1. Going from M10 -> M20 which is not really suitable for burst loads where going one step up might not be enough. Same goes for rapid scaling down

Example:
    Scale range = M10 - M50
    Scale step up 4 = (M10 -> M50)
    Scale step down 2…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Autoscaling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to create database users limited to specific clusters

We have a single project set up for our application, and multiple clusters under that project. Right now, it's impossible to create database users who only have access to certain clusters - the only configurable option is "database name".

The issue is that some of the clusters have the same "database name" but I don't want them to be able to access a database in a specific cluster, though I *do* want them to access a database with the same name in a different cluster.

Any plans to implement this?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Improve dashboard loading times from 3.5 minutes

Currently the dashboard takes well over 3.5 minutes to load on a gbps broadband connection waiting for

https://cloud.mongodb.com/static/dist/project.min.js

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Expose more data via the Project Events Atlas API: database user addition

The project events API (described at https://docs.atlas.mongodb.com/reference/api/events-projects-get-one/)
    returns less fields that presented in the UI.

For example, after adding a database user via API, I would like to wait for the database user actually added before attempting to use the user. In the web UI, I see 2 events with all the information I need - "MongoDB user added" and "Deployment configuration published".

When querying the project events API, I see both events (event types MONGODB_USER_ADDED and AUTOMATION_CONFIG_PUBLISHED_AUDIT), but there are no additional fields with the new database user.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base