Atlas

Share your idea. In order to help prioritize, please include the following information

1. A brief description of what you are looking to do
  2. How you think this will help
  3. Why this matters to you

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dark mode

Please release a dark mode MongoDB Atlas interface. Thank you.

173 votes
    Sign in Sign in with your MongoDB Account
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Granular Permissions

Right now Mongo Atlas allows you to assign two types of roles to all the users: Organization and Project, and for each set it gives you some predefined roles.

The problem with this is you can't have any kind of granular control of what permission is assigned to each user. (e.g. to allow a user to create a trigger through Mongo Stitch it needs the Project Owner role).

This is a major setback as I'm giving my coworkers more access than needed.

A good solution would be to have something like the database access control in this part so we…

90 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  10 comments  ·  IAM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Autoscaling improvements

Hi, we have tried BETA of Autoscaling feature and we have some thoughts how to make it better. In its current setup its not really suitable for our production workloads. Here are some thoughts how to make it better:

1. Define separate scaling steps
      At them moment the scaling step is always 1. Going from M10 -> M20 which is not really suitable for burst loads where going one step up might not be enough. Same goes for rapid scaling down

Example:
    Scale range = M10 - M50
    Scale step up 4 = (M10 -> M50)
    Scale step down 2 =…

55 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Autoscaling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I'd like to have a scheduled mongodump backup option

I'm coming from mLab and I'm used to having an option in my backup strategy that includes a mongodump backup as well as what Atlas calls a CPS (cloud provider snapshot). The latter is actually a snapshot of the database directory at the filesystem level, which is great for instant restores within Atlas (same or different cluster). However, the mongodump backup (from mLab as an example) allows me to backup on a regular schedule and download those backups for restores locally and elsewhere outside of Atlas.

Yes, I can run mongodump operations myself from a system outside of Atlas, but…

40 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I'd like to be able to connect to my cluster directly from the UI and have a shell-like experience i.e. run queries and operational commands

It would be great if I could connect to and run commands against my cluster via the Atlas UI so I don't have to rely on downloading and running the shell locally.

I'd also be more confident I was running commands against the right cluster as I would have less reliance on managing connection strings and differentiating between them. This would be helpful if I'm not on my regular machine and need to do some ad-hoc querying or debugging.

38 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Atlas backup to second region

We would like the option to have our Atlas backups automatically copied to a 2nd region to support our DR initiative. I realize we could create a live database node in a 2nd region, but that is more costly and complex. Having the backup sync to another region that we can restore off of in case the primary region fails would be simpler and more cost effective.

Is this something that is on your roadmap, and if so, when will it be released?

Thanks!

31 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. LDAP configuration using Terraform

We would like to be able to use Terraform to configure LDAP authentication/authorization on projects.

The functionality is available via the API:
    https://docs.atlas.mongodb.com/reference/api/ldaps-configuration/

However, go-client-mongodb-atlas does not have these endpoints implemented, so that would need to be done before this functionality is included in the provider.

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Force restart of unhealthy node

Right now, there's a "test failover" option, which shuts down the primary and forces an election. However, the option is only available if the cluster is in a healthy state.

If, for whatever reason, the cluster is unhealthy, it's impossible to manually restart the primary. It should be possible to force an election in an unhealthy state. Often, this is all that is required to get back into a healthy state (e.g. if the primary is in a CPU burning loop that was caused by an unexpected write pattern that has stopped.)

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. option to create a final snapshot before deleting a cluster

Today when an Atlas cluster is deleted, all backups/snapshots of this cluster are deleted along with it.

This is especially an issue when working with automation tools like terraform, where a cluster can be deleted by accident easily.

In AWS Aurora Postgres, for example, there is an option to create a "final snapshot" before deleting the cluster.

If this option is enabled for a cluster, whenever a user triggers the deletion of the cluster (either manually, via API, or any other method), a final snapshot will be created, before the cluster is deleted.

This final snapshot is then available independently…

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Yellow exclamation icon should have a tooltip or explanation

Often in the cluster card, or in the cluster panel, one or more processes are marked with a yellow warning icon (instead of a green dot). However there is no indication about what this means or how to fix it.

Can there be a tooltip or explanation about what this icon represents?

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Monitoring and Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Export metrics to Prometheus

Currently there is only a community supported Prometheus integration (exporter) available which polls db.serverStatus() and doesn't include as much metrics as the Atlas UI/API provides. A similar integration as with New Relic and Datadog would help many customers that are using Prometheus and Grafana for monitoring.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Monitoring and Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Possibility to change 'frequency_type' of snapshot backup policy item via Terraform

Hi,

I’m facing an issue about Snapshot Backup Policy creation/modification via Terraform ( FYI, I open a case to the support of MongoDB  https://support.mongodb.com/case/00668262). Let me explain :

When I want to create a MongoAtlas Cluster via terraform, I want to apply a custom Snahsphot Backup Policy with ONLY 2 items during the creation of the cluster :
    N° Item Frequency type Frequency Retention
    0 Daily 1 7 Days
    1 Weekly 1 (Saturday) 4 weeks

However, during the creation of the mongo atlas cluster, I can see an error
    Error: Error applying plan:

1 error occurred:

* module.cluster_contrib.module.dpjmongoatlas.module.tfmodule-gcp-mongo-atlas-cluster.mongodbatlas_cloud_provider_snapshot_backup_policy.snapshot_backup:
    21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Live Migrate Individual Namespaces

Mongomirror allows you to migrate particular databases or collections using the --includeDB and --includeNamespace parameters:

https://docs.atlas.mongodb.com/reference/mongomirror/#cmdoption-includedb
    https://docs.atlas.mongodb.com/reference/mongomirror/#cmdoption-includenamespace

It would be helpful if Live Migrate allowed for use of these options as well to migrate subsets of data, instead of only migrating an entire cluster.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow to set teams to users by Federated Authentication

When an Atlas User logs in by a Federated Authentication (like Okta) there is only a "Default User Role" to control its permission, so all users get the same role. And after that, we must manually add to teams, or change their roles. It would be better to allow the IdP to set (and update) the groups/teams for each user automatically.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  IAM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Suggested actions for alerts

Alerts are often very cryptic & don't provide any useful information. For example, when alerting that queries are returning too many rows, without informing me the query or at least the collection, that's very useless. I'm looking at a replication oplog window alert right now and I have no idea what to do about it.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Project teams

Hello,

I think it would be a good idea to have team management at project level.
    We have many projects and members in our Atlas account.
    I'm a organization owner. The people in my organization use the Altas service. I create
    a project for them and give my colleagues the project owner authorizations.

Project owners can invite other members. This is good. But it's a little inconsistent that
    they are not able to create groups or teams within their projects They have to manage the permissions for each member separately.

We can't use organization teams, because they are located at…

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  IAM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow Atlas clusters to be paused using terraform

The ability to pause Atlas clusters through terraform would help with being able to pause our non-prod environments when not in use. Currently this has to be managed directly with the Atlas API

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Elections bar colors in Metrics should be more vivid

The atlas metrics show node election statuses in colors - red/orange and brown. When there are multiple re-elections in a short period of time, these all merge together making it hard to decipher the order of occurrence - especially the near overlap of orange and brown Having vivid/contrasting colors should make debugging easier.

It would be helpful if some aspect about the x-axis would tell you what status the node was in at a given time. For example: the x-axis is also that color from time X to time Y, and then the node was demoted/down and the axis turns…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Monitoring and Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to stream logs to Cloudwatch Logs or Datadog

There's no way to stream logs from MongoDB on Atlas right now. I should be able to stream logs, either to Datadog or Cloudwatch or something!

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Create databases and collections via API thorough Terraform

Create databases (DB) and collections via API thorough Terraform after the cluster has been created in Atlas. This would provide the ease of writing and running it in a single script before any data is loaded.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base