Atlas

Share your idea. In order to help prioritize, please include the following information

1. A brief description of what you are looking to do
  2. How you think this will help
  3. Why this matters to you

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to create database users limited to specific clusters

We have a single project set up for our application, and multiple clusters under that project. Right now, it's impossible to create database users who only have access to certain clusters - the only configurable option is "database name".

The issue is that some of the clusters have the same "database name" but I don't want them to be able to access a database in a specific cluster, though I do want them to access a database with the same name in a different cluster.

Any plans to implement this?

60 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Folks I’m excited to share that database users scoped to particular sets of clusters (and Data Lakes) in an Atlas project is now live in Atlas!
    – It is now possible to create database users with privileges scoped to a specific set of clusters or Atlas Data Lakes in an Atlas project.
    – Existing users’ privileges can be edited to reduce their scope to a specific set of clusters or Atlas Data Lakes
    – All authentication mechanisms (SCRAM, X.509, LDAP, AWS IAM) may be used in conjunction with this ability

Thanks for your patience: this was a long-time coming!

Cheers
    -Andrew

2. Expose auto cluster scaling options via Terraform

We would like the ability to configure an auto scaling cluster via Terraform. Currently we need to modify our cluster after its creation via terraform to setup auto scaling parameters.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you to everyone who provided input here and directly. We are about to release the provider, v0.6.0, which exposes the autoscale attributes for clusters and includes a recommendation to use a lifecycle block to prevent Terraform and Atlas from conflicting (this will be included in the clusters documentation that will come out w/ the release). Please continue to provide suggestions here or reach out directly to melissa.plunkett@mongodb.com. Thank you!

3. LDAP configuration using Terraform

We would like to be able to use Terraform to configure LDAP authentication/authorization on projects.

The functionality is available via the API:
    https://docs.atlas.mongodb.com/reference/api/ldaps-configuration/

However, go-client-mongodb-atlas does not have these endpoints implemented, so that would need to be done before this functionality is included in the provider.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow to set teams to users by Federated Authentication

When an Atlas User logs in by a Federated Authentication (like Okta) there is only a "Default User Role" to control its permission, so all users get the same role. And after that, we must manually add to teams, or change their roles. It would be better to allow the IdP to set (and update) the groups/teams for each user automatically.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  IAM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Third party integration resource with terraform

Add a terraform resource for third party integrations (such as PagerDuty) to allow it to be set up.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. AWS EBS gp3 Volumes

Please add support for the newly announced and already generally available AWS EBS feature. [1]

The top capability is: "The new gp3 volumes deliver a baseline performance of 3,000 IOPS and 125 MB/s at any volume size. Customers looking for higher performance can scale up to 16,000 IOPS and 1,000 MB/s for an additional fee." [2]

That basically means decoupling storage performance from storage size.
    It would eliminate all our IOPS pain as 3000k is more than enough for our usecase. Currently, we are slightly overprovisioning storage size in order to guarantee minimal IOPS performance.

[1] https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2020/12/introducing-new-amazon-ebs-general-purpose-volumes-gp3/
    [2] https://aws.amazon.com/ebs/general-purpose/

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow creating alerts via terraform

Allow creating alerts via terraform

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow adding a Team to a Project via Terraform

I can create a Project in Terraform, but I cannot add a Team to it afterwards.

I am an Organization Member, so I cannot see Projects that I do not have explicit access to. This means that for any Project I create via Terraform, I need to ask someone with more permissions to add my Team to the Project.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add resource to allow attachment of roles to mongodbatlas_cloud_provider_access

The need to do two applies to completely configure the mongodbatlas_cloud_provider_access resource should have never seen the light of day. I would like to see an additional resource that could attach a role to a mongodbatlas_cloud_provider_access after it has been created. Then you could use the attributes in the mongodbatlas_cloud_provider_access resource to create the role, then attach the role to it using the access_role_attachment resource.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Alert when a snapshot restore succeeds/fails

Simply send an email alert when a restore finishes (or errors).

This is important for us because we run a restore (from prod to qa) every weekend and it takes over 14 hours. If it fails, we need to know so we can quickly kick it off again before Monday. Otherwise the QA team will be dead in the water.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Send alert when there are performance advisor recommendations

I would like to have an alert setting when MongoDB Atlas's performance advisor has any recommendations.

Currently there is no way to determine if the performance advisor has a suggested improvement on the main project console page.

Our prod project has a lot of clusters(with more planned). It is cumbersome to go in and check each one manually.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Atlas API Enhancements

Since we want to automate the user (de)provisioning for organizations and projects, we would like to see the following API enhancements:

Please enhance the Mongo Atlas API for the following functionalities:
    - invite (existing mongo) user to organization (currently not possible)
    - remove user from organization
    - get invitation status from user
    - cancel invitation for user

Thank you

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  IAM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Integrate Azure Private Endpoint

Enable connectivity in Azure using private endpoints

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add a resource to configure the backup policy for Cloud Provider Snapshots

Please add support to change the backup policy for Cloud Provider Snapshots.

This is the API I am referring to:
    https://docs.atlas.mongodb.com/reference/api/cloud-provider-snapshot-schedule-modify-one/

Thanks.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Terraform resource for custom database roles

Could we have a Terraform resource for creating custom database roles?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow user to specify either more date types, or arbitrary archive criteria

Currently to configure the online archive service, you specify which column you want to use, which must be a Date type. Our collections often use integer fields holding the offset from the epoch, and there are other fields people might reasonably used.

My suggsetion would be to allow for a diverse set of date types, or ideally, allow the user to specify the criteria themselves with a mongo query.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Online Archive  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Terraform resource to provision maintenance windows

I propose creating a new terraform resource to provisioning maintenance windows.

This could be helpful to avoid setting this manually at the project level.

I'm new to Terraform but wouldn't mind to work on it, in case it makes sense.

Thanks

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Terraform Plugin  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Change M10+ cloud providers

I would like to be able to change the cloud provider and region of a M10+ cluster.
    It would be nice also to have a per-cluster connection string that does not depend on the cloud provider. So we can change the provider and region without changing the application settings.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SSO integration for Atlas UI

Enabling SSO for the Atlas interface would limit the ability for outside people to gain access to our accounts. It would also provide us with enterprise tools for managing user access.

Currently we are using Atlas credentials to log into the Atlas frontend. This appears to be a security risk long term as people could hack into our account and create/destroy resources.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Provide `replSetName` vs. `snapshotId` mapping in `GET /groups/{GROUP-ID}/clusters/{CLUSTER-NAME}/backup/snapshots` Public API call for each

What is the problem that needs to be solved? Provide replSetName vs. snapshotId mapping in GET /groups/{GROUP-ID}/clusters/{CLUSTER-NAME}/backup/snapshots Public API call for each snapshotId.

Why is it a problem? (the pain) You're doing automated disaster recovery (restore from Atlas to on-prem via Manual Restore) scenario and you need to know which snapshotId (and its corresponding .tar.gz file) is related to which Atlas Cluster Shard/Config Server Replica Set. E.g. 5e442aa4cf09a2352527536b = Cluster0-shard-0, 5e442aa4cf09a23525275370 = Cluster0-shard-1, 5e442aa4cf09a23525275375 = Cluster0-config-0.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base