Skip to content

Atlas

Share your idea. In order to help prioritize, please include the following information

1. A brief description of what you are looking to do
  2. How you think this will help
  3. Why this matters to you

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

137 results found

1. Dark mode

Please release a dark mode MongoDB Atlas interface. Thank you.

749 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

completed  ·  112 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Atlas backup to second region

We would like the option to have our Atlas backups automatically copied to a 2nd region to support our DR initiative. I realize we could create a live database node in a 2nd region, but that is more costly and complex. Having the backup sync to another region that we can restore off of in case the primary region fails would be simpler and more cost effective.

Is this something that is on your roadmap, and if so, when will it be released?

Thanks!

169 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Backup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone!
    We are excited to officially announce the general availability of Snapshot Distribution (multi-region backups)!
    You can find it available in your clusters today. 

It is available through the UI (at the bottom of the cluster backup policy tab called “Additional Backup Copies”) and through the API. 

Check out our resources to learn more - Docs | Blog post.

Sincerely,

The MongoDB Team

3. option to create a final snapshot before deleting a cluster

Today when an Atlas cluster is deleted, all backups/snapshots of this cluster are deleted along with it.

This is especially an issue when working with automation tools like terraform, where a cluster can be deleted by accident easily.

In AWS Aurora Postgres, for example, there is an option to create a "final snapshot" before deleting the cluster.

If this option is enabled for a cluster, whenever a user triggers the deletion of the cluster (either manually, via API, or any other method), a final snapshot will be created, before the cluster is deleted.

This final snapshot is then available independently…

91 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Backup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

I am pleased to announce that in Atlas you now have an option to retain all backups when terminating an M10+ cluster.

When you terminated a cluster through the Atlas Ui, on the termination confirmation pop up, you will now see an additional toggle labeled "Keep existing snapshots after termination". If you select this option when terminating your cluster, all of your backups for that cluster will be retained. 

You can also choose to retain you backups for a cluster when deleting a cluster through the Atlas Administration API. When deleting a cluster through the API, you can include the retainBackups parameter and this will retain all of your backups after termination as well.

You can view or use the backups from a terminated (or other active) M10+ cluster by selecting the "Backup" tab in the left side navigation of the Atlas UI.

At any…

4. Export metrics to Prometheus

Currently there is only a community supported Prometheus integration (exporter) available which polls db.serverStatus() and doesn't include as much metrics as the Atlas UI/API provides. A similar integration as with New Relic and Datadog would help many customers that are using Prometheus and Grafana for monitoring.

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I'd like to have a scheduled mongodump backup option

I'm coming from mLab and I'm used to having an option in my backup strategy that includes a mongodump backup as well as what Atlas calls a CPS (cloud provider snapshot). The latter is actually a snapshot of the database directory at the filesystem level, which is great for instant restores within Atlas (same or different cluster). However, the mongodump backup (from mLab as an example) allows me to backup on a regular schedule and download those backups for restores locally and elsewhere outside of Atlas.

Yes, I can run mongodump operations myself from a system outside of Atlas, but…

72 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Backup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Cluster Termination Protection

It is possible to quickly delete an entire cluster, for example through terraform, if you're not careful.

It would be great to have a "Termination Protection" feature that can only be disabled in the Admin UI and not via the public APIs.

In terraform I could then enable it like so

resource "mongodbatlas_cluster" "my_cluster" {
      enable_delete_protection = true
    }

When I would run terraform destroy the cluster should not be destroyed and instead the API returns an error saying that the Cluster has Termination Protection enabled. If I want to disable it, I can login to the Admin UI, select…

66 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Ability to create database users limited to specific clusters

We have a single project set up for our application, and multiple clusters under that project. Right now, it's impossible to create database users who only have access to certain clusters - the only configurable option is "database name".

The issue is that some of the clusters have the same "database name" but I don't want them to be able to access a database in a specific cluster, though I do want them to access a database with the same name in a different cluster.

Any plans to implement this?

60 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Folks I’m excited to share that database users scoped to particular sets of clusters (and Data Lakes) in an Atlas project is now live in Atlas!
    – It is now possible to create database users with privileges scoped to a specific set of clusters or Atlas Data Lakes in an Atlas project.
    – Existing users’ privileges can be edited to reduce their scope to a specific set of clusters or Atlas Data Lakes
    – All authentication mechanisms (SCRAM, X.509, LDAP, AWS IAM) may be used in conjunction with this ability

Thanks for your patience: this was a long-time coming!

Cheers
    -Andrew

8. Expose auto cluster scaling options via Terraform

We would like the ability to configure an auto scaling cluster via Terraform. Currently we need to modify our cluster after its creation via terraform to setup auto scaling parameters.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you to everyone who provided input here and directly. We are about to release the provider, v0.6.0, which exposes the autoscale attributes for clusters and includes a recommendation to use a lifecycle block to prevent Terraform and Atlas from conflicting (this will be included in the clusters documentation that will come out w/ the release). Please continue to provide suggestions here or reach out directly to melissa.plunkett@mongodb.com. Thank you!

9. LDAP configuration using Terraform

We would like to be able to use Terraform to configure LDAP authentication/authorization on projects.

The functionality is available via the API:
    https://docs.atlas.mongodb.com/reference/api/ldaps-configuration/

However, go-client-mongodb-atlas does not have these endpoints implemented, so that would need to be done before this functionality is included in the provider.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Support tags on Mongo projects

I support multiple orgs and projects falling under my enterprise. I'd like the ability to tag projects using a key value pair - similar to GCP, Azure, AWS. Tags will help us organise and understand what's running in our projects.

Basic functionality that operates on tags will be helpful like filtering projects and enhanced billing that can group costs based on a tag would be beneficial.

Right now, we need to add cost metadata to the project name, which is the only place where we can do so.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I'm happy to share that this capability is now available in Atlas. You can use the Admin API or Atlas UI to add tags to new or existing projects. This functionality will be extended to Terraform and the Atlas CLI in the near future.

http://www.mongodb.com/blog/post/enhanced-atlas-functionality-introducing-resource-tagging-for-projects 

11. "Chaos testing" for Atlas - simulate node(s) down

The current "Test Failover" feature supports testing application/driver resiliency in case of elections. For additional testing, we want to be able to cause a node or nodes to be shut down and started up in a cluster. There should be selectivity allowing the entire node or just the mongod or mongos process to be shut down and started up.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow to set teams to users by Federated Authentication

When an Atlas User logs in by a Federated Authentication (like Okta) there is only a "Default User Role" to control its permission, so all users get the same role. And after that, we must manually add to teams, or change their roles. It would be better to allow the IdP to set (and update) the groups/teams for each user automatically.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  IAM  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Terraform integration to manage project's API keys

Hello team,

we're still missing the capability to create project's API keys via terraform and have to deal with some python scripts to automatically provision new keys in dynamic way(when new projects come up).

I know this question has been already asked and your idea is to use Vault, but probably it's not good idea to install this heavy tool for the single application...and we can't use Vault in dynamic way because it doesn't contain 'MongodbAtlas Secret Engine' available via terraform provider.

Please consider to add possibility of creation API keys via terraform and let us decide whether it's security…

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Possibility to change 'frequency_type' of snapshot backup policy item via Terraform

Hi,

I’m facing an issue about Snapshot Backup Policy creation/modification via Terraform ( FYI, I open a case to the support of MongoDB  https://support.mongodb.com/case/00668262). Let me explain :

When I want to create a MongoAtlas Cluster via terraform, I want to apply a custom Snahsphot Backup Policy with ONLY 2 items during the creation of the cluster :
    N° Item Frequency type Frequency Retention
    0 Daily 1 7 Days
    1 Weekly 1 (Saturday) 4 weeks

However, during the creation of the mongo atlas cluster, I can see an error
    Error: Error applying plan:

1 error occurred:
    * module.cluster…

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Cloud Backup policy has been completely reworked as of provider version 1.0.0, with a few more fixes in 1.0.1 (coming shortly). This should address the pain points that have been raised here and elsewhere.

15. Integration with Microsoft Teams

Add third-party service integration for Microsoft Teams, as we do for Slack.
    Most likely the following can be leveraged to achieve the integration: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/teams-proactive-messaging

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Integrations  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Elle responded

This is now available! You can find the integration on the integrations page in Cloud. Documentation to follow in coming days. 

16. Allow modifying federation role mappings via API

We would like to use the new role mapping feature for federated authentication to assign Atlas roles based on LDAP groups assigned to our users.

However, we frequently create new projects programmatically and would need to manage the permissions to these new projects using role mapping. However, there is no public API available to manage role mappings programmatically. In addition, enabling role mapping disables the ability to manage roles for federated users with the API. So, at present, role mappings and permissions can only be managed manually through the UI.

We would like to request the ability to modify role…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  IAM  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow Atlas clusters to be paused using terraform

The ability to pause Atlas clusters through terraform would help with being able to pause our non-prod environments when not in use. Currently this has to be managed directly with the Atlas API

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Make it possible to add tags in the Datadog integration so I can tell my staging and production environments apart more easily

Datadog recommends having only one account and feed data from all environments into it, and then it’s important to tell them apart by using tags.

Please add the ability to set tags in the Datadog integration configuration, e.g. env:production

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow creation of Atlas organizations in Terraform

there are really 3 steps for our dev teams to get moving in Atlas:
    1. create an org
    2. create a project
    3. create a cluster
    the first one is the only one that still has to be done from a console. if we had a terraform script to create an org in our account, we could trigger creation after approval in ServiceNow

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Third party integration resource with terraform

Add a terraform resource for third party integrations (such as PagerDuty) to allow it to be set up.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base