Skip to content

Ops Tools

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

224 results found

1. Ops Manager: API endpoint for /databases should not require host

Currently the Ops Manager API to list databases requires a hostname: /groups/{PROJECT-ID}/hosts/{HOST-ID}/databases

It would useful to gather databases on a project or cluster level instead as the databases are the same across replica set members.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Ops Manager  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add a cross reference of all projects and roles to user profile

I must click on projects to display all the projects in my list, click the Users link for a project, then search for my ID to see the roles assigned to my ID.

My idea is to consolidate this information and display it under my user profile similar to the Organization page. 3 clicks display my roles for each project on a single page.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. add organisation name to project name when project name is not unique

There are multiple places where we need choose project. for example, to create global alerts we can exclude some projects from this alert.

The issue is project name is not unique and there could be projects with the same name in different organisations. For example, every organisation may have project dev or test.

it comes to the issue that you will see in the list of projects "dev,dev,dev,dev" and you don't understand which one you want to use.

it will be much better to display them in the format "org/project", so the example above would be "org1/dev, org2/dev, org3/dev" which…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Set log file permissions using Ops Manager

Currently there is no way to set the log file permissions from Ops Manager and the default value is 600. Our organization uses Splunk and with the current settings the Splunk user is not able to read the log files. Config file options such as processUmask and honorSystemUmask can be used to change the log file permissions, but they will also change other files such as journal files, wiredtiger files, etc. The only option we have is to add the Splunk user to our role group in Unix, but this causes a security issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. OPS Manager should call updateUser to change password to trace it in DB Audit.

If you enable auditing in database, you can't trace change password actions. The reason is OPS Manager updates system.user collection record directly. as a result, this action is not traceble in audit if parameter auditAuthorizationSuccess is not enabled.

But enabling this parameter cause performance degradation as all DML/DDL will be sent through audit layer.

Dropping user at the same time happening as expected and traceable in audit files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Agent authentication to opsmanager using x509 credentials

Similar to how Opsmanger can use x509 to manage deployments, it should be possible to configure the agents to use x509 credentials to communicate with Opsmanager. This will allow for a more consistent security posture across the whole mongodb/opsmanager stack. It would also simplify security procedures such as credential rotation by unifying the authentication mechanism.

This will be an alternative to the existing API Key approach https://www.mongodb.com/docs/ops-manager/current/tutorial/manage-agent-api-key/index.html

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Ability to remove parameter tlsCertificateKeyFilePassword from Advanced configuration

Currently the behavior around this parameter is tricky -once you added this parameter to advanced config - you can't remove it. if you try to remove it - OPS Manager simply ignores this action and when you run "Review and Deploy" - it displays nothing but still let you deploy this "nothing". similar if you want to set the value of this parameter to empty string from something - OPS Manager ignores it and deploy empty list of actions.

the workaround is to remove both tlsCertificateKeyFile and tlsCertificateKeyFilePassword in advanced config, but don't deploy it. then add back tlsCertificateKeyFile parameter…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When changing snapshot retention, prompt user to apply new policy to existing snapshots

Currently when you change the snapshot schedule, the changes only apply to NEW snapshots.

Please allow the user the option to apply the new policy automatically to all existing snapshots. Or at the very least, notify them of them of snapshots that exist which do not meet the current policy!

Let me provide an example of the problem. If you have a retention policy of 10 days and on DAY1 you change it to 30 days, your retention will look like this:

DAY1 - 10 snapshots
    DAY2 - 10 snapshots
    DAY10 - 10 snapshots
    DAY11 - 11 snapshots
    DAY12…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Lock enableLocalConfigurationServer setting on OPS Manager side

To harden security for mongodb deployment managed by OPS Manager, we can use setting enableLocalConfigurationServer = true so automation-mongod.conf won't have any passwords for ssl certs and agent will retrieve them from OPS Manager.

to disable this feature and to read all passwords for ssl certs (and hence get access to mongodb data) it's enough to comment out this parameter an restart automation service (or wait until host will be restarted).

Linux root user can modify any file on mongodb host including this file and can restart any services, so it's impossible to protect getting all passwords and mongod.conf from…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I found what I believe to be an error in the following document

I found what I believe to be an error in the following document.
    https://www.mongodb.com/docs/ops-manager/current/tutorial/install-simple-test-deployment/

In the section "5. Create the Ops Manager Application Database directory," it instructs to execute the following command
    sudo chown -R mongod:mongod /data

In my environment, the mongod user does not exist and I get an error, but looking at the passwd file, the mongodb user and mongodb group seem to exist. The version is 11.7.

I think the correct command is as follows
    sudo chown -R mongodb:mongodb /data

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Operating System distribution and version of a host in OPS Manager API

Hi,
    would be useful having the operating system distribution and version of a host for our automation scripts.
    This info is not available in any OPS Manager API request, as the case 01119828.
    My suggestion is add this info at "Get Host by ID" https://www.mongodb.com/docs/ops-manager/current/reference/api/hosts/get-one-host-by-id/
    Best regards,
    Danilo

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Ability to mark a deployment as an INELIGIBLE restore target

Restoring to a cluster is one of the few destructive actions that Ops Manager takes and it's terrifying to see our main production cluster listed as a possible restore target!

I would love to be able to toggle a setting on this cluster to indicate that it is NOT available as a restore target.

This could be similar to the AWS "DisableApiTermination" feature that prevents instance termination.
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/terminating-instances.html#Using_ChangingDisableAPITermination

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add flexibility to disable and enable specific fetures of managing mongodb instance in OPS Manager (like user Sync)

Currently , Mongodb admin can not select to disable or enable feature after put mongodb manageed under OPS Manager. like security control .

Normally , Security control is not mongodb or Ops manager admin's responsibility , which is managed by a enterprice access control team.

1 , In opsmanager , there is not role for security control, like useradmin in mongodb.
    2 , When ACCESS control team create role in mongodb. Ops Manager sycn it back.
    3 , Opsmanager admin have to be engaged to work with ACCESS control team to complete the task.

It is kind of not least…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Ops Manager  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Ability to start the bi connector using a .drdl file in Ops Manager

Ability to start the bi connector using a .drdl file in Ops Manager. Currently only possible with en premise bi connector deployment(mongosqld).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add possibility to configure the process hostnames for the automation config map

In order to use external certificates could it be possible to configure the process hostnames in automation config map

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. TLS secret key config

Add option to configure the secret keys for the server and CA certificate and replace the default ones tls.crt, tls.key and ca.crt

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add Ops Manager alert on tlsX509ExpirationWarningThresholdDays client

Ops Manager alert, for messages posted through 'tlsX509ExpirationWarningThresholdDays' parameter to warn for client certs expiry

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Disk metric - log drive

The ops manager is not capturing the log drive disk related metrics when the log path is different from data path. This is an important metric to monitor for anyone to consider OM as the monitoring tool.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. add logical name to disk in metrics

when we look at hardware metric in replicaset, OPS Manager displays and groups disk stats based on internal disk name on each node. if for some reason we have disks discovered in different order on OS level, disk names will be different and it's become very messy and difficult to compare disk stats between different nodes.

Suggestion is to add ability to give disk logical name so OPS Manager will display disks for data and disks for logs in a nice way. if new disk is replaced or added - default name can be displayed so administrator will be able…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add milliseconds to Ops Manager access logs

The current logback-access.xml file only logs with second grainularity, which isn't great when trying to correlate HTTP events with other log events.

I propose changing this line:

<pattern>%h %l %u [%t] "%X{requestUrl}" %s %b "%i{Referer}" "%i{User-Agent}"

To this:

<pattern>%h %l %u [%date{"dd/MMM/yyyy:HH:mm:ss.SSS Z"}] "%X{requestUrl}" %s %b "%i{Referer}" "%i{User-Agent}"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base