GUI for Queryable Snapshots
It would be good to have a GUI created for the queryable snapshot interface so less experienced users, that may not have any mongod experience, can successfully restore a collection/document without additional training.
Ideally, the feature allows for the creation of some subset of documents using a query building tool (even collection level would be acceptable) that can then be pushed to a target environment automatically or pushed to a mongodump file that can be used as a restore tool later. Their primary concern is just to ensure that individuals without direct mongod experience or server access can generate a restore and circumvent the current process of spinning up a tunnel and creating a query manually.
An example workflow would be:
- Deployment -> Backups -> Enable Queryable Restore for Source Job for PIT
- Click Query Snapshot Builder
- Select collection or build query
- Display example result set
- Select push to dump or push to cluster a. Push to snapshot: generate mongodump for query/collection and provide example mongorestore string b. Push to cluster: select target cluster and confirm deploy
Thoughts from my recent experience with recovering a document from new Cloud Backups:
It was just necessary for me to download a snapshot in order to retrieve a document that a customer had accidentally messed up, This worked ok, but it does take a long time to download.
This seems like a terrible solution for large databases.
Legacy backups allowed querying of snapshots without downloading, this was great and allowed me to hunt through multiple snapshots to find the data I needed quickly. Under Cloud Backups, such a process may be unviable, especially with large databases
A GUI or some other means of quickly querying a backup snapshot would be most welcome.