Atlas

Share your idea. In order to help prioritize, please include the following information

1. A brief description of what you are looking to do
  2. How you think this will help
  3. Why this matters to you

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allows to share Cloud Provider Backup Snapshot with customer's Cloud Provider account

What is the problem that needs to be solved? Add an option (as it was in mLab) that allows to share the Cloud Provider Backup Snapshot (EBS Snapshot [1], in case of AWS) for Atlas Cluster with customer's Cloud Provider account. This action is easier, quicker and cheaper for customers than manually downloading the Atlas Snapshot.

Why is it a problem? (the pain) A) Operational pain: as of now (2020-02-18), if you require to execute disaster recovery scenario with restoration of your Atlas Cluster data outside of Atlas Clusters you'll need to create a Cloud Provider Backup Snapshot Restore job…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide `replSetName` vs. `snapshotId` mapping in `GET /groups/{GROUP-ID}/clusters/{CLUSTER-NAME}/backup/snapshots` Public API call for each

What is the problem that needs to be solved? Provide replSetName vs. snapshotId mapping in GET /groups/{GROUP-ID}/clusters/{CLUSTER-NAME}/backup/snapshots Public API call for each snapshotId.

Why is it a problem? (the pain) You're doing automated disaster recovery (restore from Atlas to on-prem via Manual Restore) scenario and you need to know which snapshotId (and its corresponding .tar.gz file) is related to which Atlas Cluster Shard/Config Server Replica Set. E.g. 5e442aa4cf09a2352527536b = Cluster0-shard-0, 5e442aa4cf09a23525275370 = Cluster0-shard-1, 5e442aa4cf09a23525275375 = Cluster0-config-0.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Provide size (in bytes) in `GET /groups/{GROUP-ID}/clusters/{CLUSTER-NAME}/backup/snapshots` Public API call for each `snapshotId`

What is the problem that needs to be solved? Provide size (in bytes) in GET /groups/{GROUP-ID}/clusters/{CLUSTER-NAME}/backup/snapshots Public API call for each snapshotId

Why is it a problem? (the pain) You're doing your own automation with manual restore, and you can't programmatically know the actual filesize of .tar.gz file you'll be downloading for each snapshotId listed in GET /groups/{GROUP-ID}/clusters/{CLUSTER-NAME}/backup/snapshots Public API call until you actually download .tar.gz file for each snapshotId.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Define Default Backup Policy

The ability to save a custom backup policy as the default, so all new clusters don't have to be customized to meet the backup policy requirements.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Ability to download backups without requiring a token with write permissions

I want to automate downloading the most recent continuous backup snapshot to a local machine nightly. The guys on your intercom help chat were pretty helpful in pointing me at delivery.url here:

https://docs.atlas.mongodb.com/reference/api/restore-jobs-create-one/

But I was surprised that in order to download a backup, I need to use a token with write permission. It would be great for security reasons if the machine I use to download backups could do so without needing to have a write token.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Improve the Interface for backup menu

Backup options display in different places for M5 and M40 instances. I think this is misleading and not consistent. Also, the form for backup restoring for M5 instances may easily lead to a catastrophe. That's because even when you explicitly enter a specific cluster, you can still select another cluster to restore to. Here is a video that I've recorded to explain my point of view:
    https://www.loom.com/share/4d747b225c964af9809e0c8813a9b081

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. I'd like to have a scheduled mongodump backup option

I'm coming from mLab and I'm used to having an option in my backup strategy that includes a mongodump backup as well as what Atlas calls a CPS (cloud provider snapshot). The latter is actually a snapshot of the database directory at the filesystem level, which is great for instant restores within Atlas (same or different cluster). However, the mongodump backup (from mLab as an example) allows me to backup on a regular schedule and download those backups for restores locally and elsewhere outside of Atlas.

Yes, I can run mongodump operations myself from a system outside of Atlas, but…

55 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Backup  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base