Skip to content

Charts

MongoDB Charts is the best way to create visualizations of MongoDB data. Connect to any MongoDB instance as a data source, create charts and graphs, embed them into your applications or build live dashboards for sharing and collaboration.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

49 results found

1. Expose Charts creation using API and get back embedded chart's URI

We can use Chart's API to construct the charts on demand through various JS application and client requirements, without exposing the Charts dashboard / data sources in a multi tenant application. We can use the API's to modify / create charts and get back the embedded chart URI to show on the application UI.

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Switching Chart Type should not erase existing settings

If I change the chart type (e.g. a Line Chart) from Discrete to Continuous, it'd be nice if I didn't have to restart from scratch. Currently it erases my settings.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Building Charts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Set a Custom Timezone for all Dates by Default

Since mongo by default stores the dates in UTC timezone, whenever we have to create a chart based on the time, we need to always go to the customize section and change the timezone. It's a repetitive process and sometimes people forget, and end up exporting wrong data. (A major use-case for charts for us is also self-serve data export by non tech users)

We can change the timezone using an aggregation pipeline, but that changes the data type itself from date to number (by splitting into day, month, hour etc); and then it's manual work in the chart UI…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. $todayDate filter

This allows us to create charts that give us insight whether this is a great, good, average or a bad day. The $todayDate filter range should be 00:00:00 to 23:59:59

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. allow to sort series by a field that is not in a series

We have one scenario in which we're adding a series for the purpose of using it in the 'sort by', specific example:
    A "Thing" goes trough "Stages" (e.g. Open Doing, Done, Closed). These Stages have a particular order. We'd like a chart of number of Things per Stages.

Right now we the sort by options would only allow us to sort by the Value or the Stages (alphabetically). What we'd like is to be able to provide the order we define.

There are two workarounds but are not ideal:
    1. We can do stack bars and put the Order value…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Custom color scheme

I would like to have the ability to define my own color scheme that is then used for either entire dashboards or individual charts. At the current moment, the color schemes available are hardcoded. While they make the dashboards attractive, when integrated into existing applications that follow a certain styleguide, it's not ideal.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Date binning by quarter

It would be great to be able to bin dates by quarter. In particular, it would be nice to have financial quarters with a customizable start date for the financial year.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Customize MongoDB Charts - Chart title

Can we please have general customization option for chart title as well? Currently we are only allowed to edit the chart title but we cannot format it in anyway. It would be a good option to change the font color, size, style etc. for chart titles.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion Priyanka. We are currently adding the ability to add a description to a chart, which can include rich text and hyperlinks.

9. Please let us save chart without closing

Right now if I want to save my changes to a chart, I have to click "Save and Close". I would love an option to just save the changes, as I often change something and reload the code where I embed a chart.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Ability to customize label data

When hovering over a data marker, I can see a box showing the X, Y values as well as the series. It would be quite useful to be able to include additional fields from the data source in that popup. In our case, we're plotting performance data for different commits, and while we do have the commit sha and can manually lookup information about the commit, it would be great to just have the commit message, author, and date at a glance in the charts.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Custom Binning Ranges

Hi Tom (and Team). We would love the ability to bin by custom ranges. We currently can only set a static number, which can lead to some pretty non-standard groupings of data.

EG: For Age, we'd like to be able to create the following bins: 0-17, 18-25, 26-35, 36-45, etc... Since under 18 is a common age range to group together, the bins we have to used are 0-17, 18-34, 35-52, etc..., which isn't a terribly standard age range to group data by.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. programmatic

It will be amazing to support programmatically creating/updating/deleting the dashboards and charts, with SDKs and/or Terraform.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Custom logo watermark on charts

Would be great to add a semi-transparent watermark to the corner or center of charts. Especially useful while screenshotting or embedding charts.

If i can set a global config for watermarks across all charts, that would be great as well.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Visualize polygons and points on the same map

Capability to visualize GeoJSON polygons and points from data collection on the same map view. That would allow user to create custom grid on a map.

IMHO it'd be very helpful feature when working with geolocation helping to visualize things and also debug during development.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Template chart

A great feature would be to support template charts. The intention is that you have a query that calculates a client’s total gross revenue or the amount of credit card transactions they have processed in realtime. (e.g a text chart). This template could have one or multiple input parameters (think SQL stored procedure / view). Then we could display this chart per customer which would be a game changer to us because then we could tailor our embedded dashboards to each customer.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Calculated simple expression to support string concat and if else

I was looking for an alternative simpler expression rather than the Mongodb query language for calculated field — similar to what Tableau and Metabase provided. the main goal is to have a more intuitive expression for folks who don't familiar with Mongo query to create their own stuff

example expected expression: is_beta: (if int([Version Minor]) >= 7 then "yes" else "No" end)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Multiple custom tooltip details

while building a chart, like a scatter plot, you can add a tool tip detail to annotate data points with extra information. This is very useful but unfortunately if I want to add multiple fields, I have to use a projection with $concat to combine the fields and this leads to weird wrapping, it would be nice if there was an option to add multiple fields from the source documents as tooltip details

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Charts in source code

We have different environments and creating the chart in a test environment and then deploying this dashboard/graph to another environment would be nice. Kinda like how you deal with deploying code to different environments from source code. Either have the option to link chart to another system like github, azure devops or similar git repos or have some kind of chart-library you can version control your charts to. In the live environment if a chart has been changed that broke something going back to the previous version would be really helpful.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. lowlevel data api

Mongodb-charts is great but still lacking a lot of features (which is not super surprising given it's age). To work around mobile issues, missing zoom, server side rendering and similar it would be great if the sdk exposed a low level data endpoint so that we can create our own visualizations on top of the aggregated & cached data from mongodb charts.

I imagine sth like:

const sdk = new ChartsEmbedSDK({
    baseUrl,
    });
    const data = await sdk.getData({chartId})

unrelated side note: it would be great if the embed sdk was open source so that we can just contribute little enhancements…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Building Charts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. updating the min value dynamically to expand the chart

Imagine this scenario: You have a price x data chart with a range between 110.000 and 120.000 for prices.
    But the chart always starts at 0. You ever have to update the minimum range manually to near 110.000 to show data in the graph appropriately. Counterproductive, not?
    So, I suggest creating a feature to updating the min value dynamically to expand the chart and ever occupy the entire space of the cartesian plane, especially in continuous charts.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base